Useful links | England & Wales

If you need further help, this section contains contact details for a number of free
helplines, advice and consumer organisations, benefit helplines, ombudsmen,
regulatory bodies, trade associations and credit reference agencies who may be able
to give you more advice and assistance


National charity working with families affected by drugs and alcohol
Tel: 020 7553 7640

Age UK
Advice about money, benefits and other issues for older people
Tel: 0800 169 6565

Business Debtline
Debt advice for the self-employed and small businesses
Tel: 0800 197 6026

Confidential support for children
Tel: 0800 1111

Advice and support for people dealing with death
Day by Day Helpline
Tel: 0844 477 9400

Dial UK
Advice for people with disabilities
Tel: 01302 310 123

Provides help if you are worried about your drinking habits
Tel: 0800 917 8282

Gamblers Anonymous
Provides advice on how to deal with gambling problems
Tel: 020 7384 3040

For advice on gambling issues for gamblers and their families
Tel: 0845 600 0133

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group
Website includes guides for people on low incomes with tax and tax credit problems

A charity and helpline which helps with mental-health problems
Tel 0845 766 0163

National Domestic Violence Helpline
Support and information for people experiencing domestic violence
Tel: 0808 2000 247

National Drugs Helpline
Information and advice about drugs
Tel: 0800 77 66 00

One Parent Families (Gingerbread)
Lone parent helpline, advice and information for one-parent families
Phone: 0800 018 5026

Advice and counselling to help with relationship problems
Tel: 0300 100 1234

Rethink National Information and Advice Service
Advice on many issues, including money, for people with serious mental-health problems
Tel: 0845 456 0455

Rights of Women
Legal advice for women
Tel: 020 7251 6577

Confidential emotional support
Tel: 0845 790 9090

Support for mental illness
Tel: 0845 767 8000

Free housing advice helpline
Tel: 0808 800 4444

Free, confidential advice about tax problems
Tel: 0845 120 3779


Provides advice about charitable grants and benefits
Tel: 0808 802 2000

TV Licensing
General enquiries about payment schemes
Tel: 0300 790 6071 (general enquiries)
Payment card scheme 0300 555 0295

Back To Top Phone us for advice 0800 228 9655


Carers Direct
Information, advice and support for carers
Tel: 0808 802 0202

Child Benefit Enquiry Line
Tel: 0845 302 1444

Child Support Agency Enquiry Line
Tel: 0845 7133 133

Child Trust Fund
A government savings account for children
Helpline: 0845 302 1470

Pension Credit Claim Line
Tel: 0800 99 1234

Disability Benefits Enquiry Line
Tel: 0800 88 22 00

New Deal and Flexible New Deal
This is a Government scheme to help you into work

Tax Credits Helpline
Tel: 0845 300 3900

Veterans UK Helpline
Help and advice for war veterans
Tel: 0800 169 2277

Winter Fuel Payments Helpline
Tel: 0845 915 1515

Back to top Phone us for advice 0800 228 9655

Advice & Consumer Organisations

Association of British Credit Unions
Find your local credit union
Tel: 0161 832 3694

Network of independent advice agencies
Tel: 020 7469 5700

Alternative Dispute Resolution
Alternative ways of solving disputes to court action

Citizens Advice
Offering independent and confidential advice on issues such as debt, money problems
and welfare benefits

Community Legal Advice
A directory of agencies providing legal advice in your area. Check your local
library or the website
Helpline 0845 3454 345

Consumer Direct
Helpline for consumer and fuel problems
Tel: 0845 404 0506

Consumer Focus
Statutory organisation campaigning for a fair deal for consumers
Tel: 020 7799 7900

IFA Promotions
for a list of Independent Financial Advisers

Institute of Money Advisers (IMA)
Trade association for money advisers. Does not give advice to members of the public
Tel: 0845 094 2384

Law Centres Federation
They do not give advice but you can check on their website to see if there is a law
centre near you
Tel: 020 7842 0720

Money Claim Direct
Issue claims in the county court on-line

The Helplines Association
Provides on-line directory of helplines
Tel: 0845 120 3767

Law Society
You can search for a solicitor on their website

Trading Standards
Information for consumers and local trading-standards offices
Tel: 0845 404 0506

Campaigns to get a fairer deal for all consumers
Tel: 01992 822 800

Back to top Phone us for advice 0800 228 9655

Ombudsmen & Regulatory bodies

British & Irish Ombudsman Association
Lists ombudsmen and complaint handling bodies
Tel/fax: 020 8894 9272

Energy Ombudsman
If you have a dispute with a fuel supplier
Tel: 0330 440 1624 or 01925 530 263

Equality and Human Rights Commission
Advice and guidance on equality and human rights
Helpline England 0845 604 6610
Helpline Wales 0845 604 8810

Financial Ombudsman Service
For complaints about banks, building societies, loans and credit, hire-purchase,
mortgages, insurance, investments, endowment policies and pensions
Tel: 0845 080 1800or 0300 123 9 123

Financial Services Authority
Information and tools on managing money and pensions, mortgages, credit, savings and
so on
Moneymadeclear Helpline
Tel: 0300 500 5000

Financial Services Compensation Scheme
An independent organisation which pays compensation if you have a claim against
firms authorised by the FSA
Tel: 020 7892 7300 or 0800 678 1100

Local Government Ombudsman
Deals with complaints about local councils and other bodies
Advice Line
Tel: 0300 061 0614

The Law Society Legal Complaints Service
An independent organisation for complaints about solicitors
Tel: 0845 608 6565

Office of Fair Trading (OFT)
An independent organisation which protects your rights as a consumer
Tel: 0845 722 4499

Office of Communications (OFCOM)
An independent organisation which regulates phone, television and radio companies
Tel: 0845 456 3000 or 0300 123 3333

Office of Telecommunications Ombudsman Service (OTELO)
For complaints about phone companies which are members of Otelo
Tel: 0330 440 1614 or 01925 430 049 or 0845 050 1614

Office of Water services (Ofwat)
An independent organisation which regulates water companies
Tel: 0121 625 1300

The Consumer Council for Water
For complaints about water companies
Tel: 0845 039 2837or 0121 345 1000

Parliamentary Ombudsman
Investigates complaints about UK Government departments or the NHS in England. Ask
your MP
Tel: 0345 015 4033

The Information Commission
For advice about data protection and freedom of information
Tel: 0303 123 1113

Tenant Services Authority
Regulates social housing and will help you to find a housing association near you
Tel: 0845 230 7000

Back to top Phone us for advice 0800 228 9655

Trade Associations

Association of Civil Enforcement Agencies
Trade association for bailiffs and enforcement agents
Tel: 01924 350 090

British Bankers Association
Trade association for banking industry
General enquiries 020 7216 8800
Contact via website

Building Societies Association
Trade association for building societies
Tel: 020 7520 5900

Consumer Credit Association UK
Represents the home credit industry
Tel: 01244 312 044

Consumer Credit Trade Association
Represents consumer credit businesses
Tel: 0845 257 1166

Council of Mortgage Lenders
Trade association for mortgage lenders
Tel: 0845 373 6771

Credit Services Association
Debt Buyers and Sellers Group
Trade association for collection agencies and debt-sale companies
Tel: 0191 286 5656

Enforcement Services Association
Represents certificated bailiffs
Tel: 0117 907 4771

Finance & Leasing Association

Trade association for consumer credit and motor finance
Tel: 020 7836 6511

Back to top Phone us for advice 0800 228 9655

Credit Reference Agencies

For a copy of your credit file

For a copy of your credit file

For a copy of your credit file
Tel: 0870 060 1414

Credit Information and Fraud Avoidance Service (CIFAS)
Fraud prevention information